SnookerZone has been enjoying a few days away at the Theatre of Dreams the Crucible Theatre and the CueZone in Sheffield – and we’ve been soaking up the atmosphere in and around the venue.
If you’re a snooker fan and you’ve not yet stepped foot on Sheffield soil to experience the atmosphere and buzz of this World Championship snooker experience, then, what are you waiting for? Be bold. Be brave. Take the plunge and become hooked on this iconic venue and all it has to offer.
Before we update you on what’s been going on. It’s important to let you know that this blog is not a 24-hour news service and we’re not necessarily a blog that will update every aspect of the pro game. This blog is mainly for interviewing amateur players, the odd professional or ex-professional, and to keep in the loop on amateur scenes as well as provide the odd tips we’ve picked up from coaches and from our own play as a whole.
Stay tuned for more coming interviews wise in the coming weeks after the commotion of the World Championships have ended on Monday May 6th.
What’s been happening in Sheffield at the snooker?
A bit of background first.
The draw started all those weeks ago at the Championship Qualifiers at the English Institute of Sport as 128 players including amateurs, one who is still going in the main event at the Crucible.
James Cahill is still going strong in Sheffield in his second round match against the Scottish fiery Stephen Maguire but it may well be too much for the amateur to take – but you never know.
After the euphoria of reaching the Crucible and knocking out the World number one Ronnie O’Sullivan in a dramatic first-round encounter, the amateur is holding his own. We will post updates on our Facebook on certain happenings going on in Sheffield both on and off the baize in the surrounding areas near to the Crucible. If you haven’t yet already, SEARCH on FACEBOOK for SNOOKERZONE and LIKE our page.
There’s also still time to enter our competition which can be viewed on our Facebook page.
There’s been plenty happening already. To summarise…
- James Cahill became the first amateur to qualify for the Crucible and BEAT World number one Ronnie O’Sullivan in the first round…
- The longest frame in Crucible history happened in the first round between Luca Brecel and Gary Wilson at 79 minutes, beating the record of Mark Selby and Marco Fu in 2016 at 76 minutes
- Mark Williams the World Champion, tweeted yesterday April 26th that he was experiencing chest pains and was in the hospital having tests. They found his heart was OK.
- Neil Robertson is safely through to the quarter-finals as a three-time ranking event winner this season. Robertson is for sure one favourite to lift the trophy this year, nine years after his first – could it happen?
- Three qualifiers remain so far in Round 2 – including James Cahill. They are Gary Wilson Wilson and China’s Zhou Yuelong, as well as Cahill.
To see any exclusive pictures from the venue, then SEARCH SNOOKERZONE on FACEBOOK and LIKE our page.
Saturday is Day 7 of the event, which started on April 20, and ends on May 6!
We’ll update later on further developments, and for pics, we’ll be posting a few after we come back on Tuesday. But again, if you want to see pics, GO TO THE FACEBOOK PAGE NOW and LIKE SNOOKERZONE…