Categories
News

Thumbs up: Selby lands last 2019 ranking event win

MARK SELBY landed the last ranking event final of 2019 and the last of the decade at the 19.com Scottish Open in Glasgow over the weekend. 

Mark Selby
Thumbs up from Selby sealing the second Home Nations win in 2019 in Scotland

The 36-year-old three-time World Champion defeated young talent Jack Lisowski in the final 9 -6 to scoop the 70K first prize and become the first player to win two Home Nations events in one season.

A few months ago he landed the English Open after a dry spell of winning no tournaments for a year or so.

Selby said after about his opponent 28-year-old Lisowski that it was only a matter of time before he would win a tournament as he said he is such a talent and makes the game look easy when it comes to potting balls from anywhere on the table.

[bctt tweet=”Lisowski in the post-match interview said he definitely needed to work on his safety game more but could take lots of positives from his seven days in Glasgow.” username=”@chrisgaynor2″]

Jack Lisowski
A great week in Glasgow for Lisowski: Lots of positives…

Selby landed his 17th ranking title after knocking out the likes of Ronnie O’Sullivan in the quarter-finals on the way to his win.

Lisowski knocked out John Higgins and Mark Allen on his way to his third ranking event final.

Home Nations winners of 2019 so far…

  • Mark Selby – English Open, Scottish Open
  • Judd Trump – Northern Ireland Open. 

 

The next major event will be in 2020 in mid-January at the Alexandra Palace in London as Judd Trump defends his Master’s title.

Categories
News

Kyren Wilson Responds in Twitter Snooker Spat

Embed from Getty Images

Champion of Champions runner-up Kyren Wilson has responded to calls there should have been a day’s grace before traveling from Coventry to Belfast and playing in the northern Ireland Open the next day.

Wilson, who lost to Ronnie O’Sullivan responded in a tweet and said he did think his game on Monday night, in which he lost to Lee Walker should have been moved to Tuesday minimum, but, for whatever reason, it wasn’t.

However, the 26-year-old from Kettering, added: “OK, I’m 26, but what this game takes out of you mentally is draining!”

He also said that now was a good a time as any to become a snooker player – singing Barry Hearn’s praises but said there were a few issues that needed ironing out.

The tweet came after Ronnie O’Sullivan had a rant on Twitter about the game and the state of it, regarding venues, prize money, and the World Snooker chief himself Barry Hearn.

O’Sullivan, who won his third Champion of Champions title last weekend, narrowly beating Wilson in the final 10 – 9, pocketed 100K in 7 days at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry.

The furore comes as a string of top players departed the Northern Irish Open early, including Barry Hawkins, Mark Allen and Kyren Wilson, all who played last week in Coventry.

Four-times World Champion John Higgins also exited Belfast after losing to Rory McLeod who looked a little jaded.

The season comes thick and fast this time of year as there are competitions right up until Christmas, including the NI Open, the UK Championship and the Scottish Open.