So, as 2019 ends, who has landed in the top 10 on the money list during what has been a fascinating year of top-class snooker and the 2019/2020 season so far?
Naturally, with Judd Trump winning the World Championship in May, and then in the 2019/2020 season winning three ranking events, (still much more to be played) the 30-year-old Juddernaut from Bristol is currently on top in this season’s money earnings at 526K.
The other nine are as follows:
- Shaun Murphy – he came runner-up in the Shanghai Masters early on in the season, and he’s in the second spot with 375K after a BIG win in the China Championship.
- Ronnie O’Sullivan – The Rocket claimed the Invitational event the Shanghai Masters early on, and reached a final of the Northern Ireland Open. He’s third with over 294K.
- Mark Selby – A two-time ranking event winner so far, and climbing back up the rankings, the Jester from Leicester is currently in fourth with a nice 285K.
- Ding Junhui – The UK Champion by way of his mega 200K win in York sees him land the fifth spot. Ding’s UK win has set him back on the path to confidence and a prospect of being just as successful in 2020. With the Masters coming up in January, there’s a good chance that Ding is one of the favorites now, especially as Ronnie O’Sullivan will not be in the line-up.
- Neil Robertson – Although the talented Australian was crowned the 2019 Champion of Champions Champion, Neil’s success in ranking events has so far in the 2019/2020 season eluded him. But his CofC helped him to the sixth spot with 262K earned so far.
- Stephen Maguire – Stephen’s fantastic performance to get to the final of the UK Championship against Ding was one of the underrated highlights of the season so far, but it cements his place in the top 10 to end 2019 in the seventh spot with 238K.
- Mark Allen – The Pistol from Northern Ireland has been one of the most consistent players of the season in reaching a string of semi-finals, but so far has yet to break a final duck to win. Having said that, Allen is definitely one to watch as the season continues to unfold, as his consistency means he will near enough be at the business end of tournaments in the New Year.
John Higgins – The 44-year-old Wizard of Wishaw has yet to claim a ranking title since the 2018 Welsh Open, and is sitting on 30 ranking titles. But, you just never know with John. Despite being in three World Championship finals in a row, you just never know when the next BIG win for John will be around the corner. A good win at the World Cup with his buddy Maguire, and some consistent result, he’s in ninth spot with 178K so far.
- Yan Bingtao: In at number 10! The Chinese teenager Yan, a potential heir to Ding in the future, won his first ranking event at Riga this season. He appears on the list for that very reason. We can probably expect more from Yan in 2020 if he gets his head down and dedicates his time to becoming a multiple winner in the game. The first ranking event win may well have given him the confidence to win more. He almost came good in the UK semi-finals, losing to Ding Junhui, whom he would have learned a lot from in that match, and, indeed, the tournament. His earnings for the 2019 end going into 2020 are 145K and counting…
Thanks to the CueTracker website for the money stats et al…