JUDD TRUMP has finally achieved a dream – Betfred World Snooker Champion for 2019 at the Home of Snooker the iconic Crucible Theatre, Sheffield…
After 8 years since appearing in his first World final in 2011, he met the man who dashed his dreams in that year – John Higgins.
Back then, Judd Trump had a fuller set of hair and was even nicknamed Mr Haircut 100.
He was known for his eagerness to pot everything. He was known more for his flamboyancy and eagerness to entertain. He was unwilling to get hooked up in a safety tactical game.
Now, the apprentice has served his apprenticeship and 2018/19 has been the season where Trump has graduated with honours from the school of hard knocks.
Now, he’s an animal on a 12ft by 6ft snooker table. Now, he’s willing to go toe to toe in a full on safety battle. Now, he’s willing to sit tight and bide his time. Now, he’s willing to sit in the long grass and pounce like a Tiger on his prey.
And that’s exactly what he did against John Higgins in the final.
This time, the 29-year-old dashed the Wizard of Wishaw’s dreams of lifting a fifth World title and equalling Ronnie O’Sullivan.
And the Bristol potter said after the inspiration to lift his dream trophy came from his dad – a true snooker fan.
Judd defeated the 43-year-old John Higgins 18 – 9 in emphatic style – and the match will also be remembered for a series of other reasons, including…
- 11 centuries – the most in a Crucible match – 7 of which came from Judd himself.
- 2 maximum attempts – both Judd and John Higgins came so close to making a 147 – the first since 2012 and Stephen Hendry’s swan song maximum
- 100 tons – another record for a World Championship. Will that ever be beaten?
This 2019 edition of the World Championship also will be remembered for other reasons, including…
- The first amateur to play at the Crucible – James Cahill who beat Ronnie O’Sullivan in the first round.
- The longest frame in Crucible history with Gary Wilson and Luca Brecel taking 79 mins to complete a single frame
- David Gilbert and John Higgins’s epic semi-final, and that final thrilling final frame decider which saw Higgins go into his eighth Crucible final and third in a row
- Judd Trump made the history with the 100 centuries – a 104 on his way to his first World title
After, John Higgins said of Judd’s emphatic victory: “Just awesome. Absolutely awesome.”
He added: “I was lucky as I was the only one who got a free ticket to watch.”
The Wizard was playing catch up after Trump cruised to a 12 – 5 lead in the final on the first evening and despite a valiant attempt for Higgins to make a mini comeback in session 3, Judd managed to see it through and get the job done.
Now, Trump goes to World number two in the Rankings as the snooker season comes to a close…
Gary Wilson, who had a great run to the semi’s, now is as high as 20 in the World, while David Gilbert moves up to 12.
The Juddernaut, as he is nicknamed, has now shook off his critics who doubted he would win a World Championship, but he’s delivered himself the biggest prize in snooker earlier than others thought.
1991 World Snooker Champion John Parrott said after saying about Ronnie O’Sullivan: If he’s looking for a challenge, he’s got one!”
JUDD TRUMP’S TITLES THIS SNOOKER SEASON…
- 2018 Northern Irish Open
- 2019 Masters (non-ranking)
- 2019 World Grand Prix
- 2019 Betfred World Championship